Sunday, November 14, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

Changing Educational Paradigms
I think that the most important thing that Sir Ken Robinson says in this presentation is that, "We shouldn't be putting them to sleep we should be waking them up to what they have inside themselves." I also like how he addressed how different people learn different ways. Some people learn better in small groups, some in large, and some alone. We should change our "standardisation" and go in the opposite direction. Therefore, "Changing the Paradigm".

I don't necessarily disagree with anything in this presentation, but I'm not too positive what I think about him saying that ADHD isn't a real disorder. I have seen so many children who have been diagnosed with this and it seems to be relevant. I do think that these children should not be pumped with drugs, but be taught ways to control this disorder.

The congruency with those that I am being taught in the College of Education and Sir Ken Robinson's positions coincide for me. I feel that thus far in my first two education classes that both of my professors encourage us to wake up and to be creative. I love the way that Sir Ken Robinson defines creativity as, "The process of having original ideas that have value." I'm encouraged to use "Divergent Thinking" and to not let it deteriorate with my age as most people do.

I can teach my future students not to lose their creativity with age to address the issues Sir Robinson raises. they need to know that no matter what age you are, you can always continue growing in the world of imagination. I would also encourage my students to collaborate and to let them know that collaborating is not cheating, it's putting your heads together.

I really thought that the presentation was very creative. I wonder if that was Sir Ken himself drawing all of those wonderful creations and displaying his creativity. If Ihad to do a presentation with others like this, I would probably be willing to do anything but the top three that I would choose would be the following:
  1. Idea Generator
  2. Designer
  3. Sound Effects

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    This is a great post! I think it is very important that people never lose sight of their creativity. I think that it is imperitive that we, as future teachers, make sure that the children know the importance of keeping an open mind! Great post!

    ReplyDelete