Saturday, October 16, 2010

Blog Assignment #8

This Is How We Dream

I agree with Dr. Richard Miller when he says that we write with the web and media technology. I do this on a daily basis. I write on the web for this class many many hours a week for example. If I have a paper due, a many professors will not even accept a hand written paper, generally it is required to be typed and in a certain format. I have not been able to turn in a handwritten paper since at least my junior year of high school.

I also do most of my "library going" on the web as well. I really don't think that I have EVER gone to a library and gotten a book for researching purposes. I may have for reading pleasure but not for researching. I always use valid websites to find needed information. There is really not anything in the library that you could not find on the web in this day and age.

I definitely think that in the future my students will be able to do this. There is so much technology available that it would be nearly impossible for a student to not have access or be able to do this. If I am able, and have been able to for many years, then my future students, regardless of age, will certainly not have an issue with multimedia writing.

The Chipper Series

The Chipper Series was mainly about procrastinating and getting behind in EDM 310. As Chipper, I have learned that you really need to do your work on time. I have gotten a little overwhelmed by this class at certain times. I have lost social time, but I have also learned a lot about technology and how to apply it to my future career. This video portrays well what will happen if you don't tale the time needed to work in this class, you will just end up right back where you started and that is in EDM 310!


EDM For Dummies

This was a very cute video. The point of this video, in my opinion, was that once you know how to do everything required for EDM because of the resources given to you, EDM can be easy and less stressful. The people in this video did a wonderful job of portraying the overwhelming feeling EDM can give you as well as the feeling of relief once you comprehend what is going on.

SMART board

The blogs that were provided were Why I Hate Interactive White Boards and Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative. Both of these two blog posts basically state that interactive white boards are garbage and way too expensive. The one of the two bloggers stated that if your white board breaks, you can't just fix it, you had to buy a new more expensive one to replace it. A link that encourages teachers to use these Interactive White Boards is Obe Hostetter's Blog-SMART board REVOLUTION 


3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I absolutely agree that our students will be multimedia writers. Like you said, we are already required to turn in typed, formatted papers. I actually think that within the next few years, everything will be done through the web. Here at South, they are already wanting to turn English classes into online classes. I am not too fond of this; however, it just shows the progression that our world is taking with technology. I also do most of my research on the web; however, there are certain books I find in the library that are not available on the internet yet. I'm sure that this too will most likely not be a problem.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed my two videos. I definitely enjoyed making them, and I'm glad you understood the points we were trying to make. It is so important so turn your work in on time, and after being in the class and understanding your new role as a student, I definitely think the class gets easier. I hope you feel the same after completing the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I know what you mean about virtually everything that you might need from the library being online. In fact, on South Alabama's website, you can look at hundreds of thousands of scholarly articles on just about anything. And, actually, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that. On one hand, it's great to be able to do a research paper while still in my boxers and t-shirt, but on the other hand, I still really love the feel of a bound book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree that hand written papers are almost ancient and we write with the web and media on a daily basis. Concerning going to the library for research, well I think a combinations of things need to be used for research because some things are hidden in books that are not found on the web. On the other hand, we have Kindle, EBooks, and other technology that gives to access books without ever having to check them out. Never the less, I don’t technology will or should ever eliminate the hard copy book. Well great post, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete