Sunday, September 12, 2010

Summary of David Warlick's "2 cents worth"

I found that the first blog post I read, "Dang! I just Missed It", to be very eye opening. As David Warlick went on about Mars and how it could be seen on August 26th as the size of the moon I was actually starting to believe that this could have actually happened. I began to think that I had missed this event as well. After he explained that this was not true, I realized just how many statistics out there could be false and that some teachers do not always do their research. When you do not do your research, you are taking the risk of sharing with your students false information that they in return may also pass on. If David would not have written that this information were false I would have begun to ask people if they had seen this event and I would have been taken for a fool. Be sure to research your facts before sharing them.

I also read his second blog post called "Willing eBook Sellers". This post more irritated me than anything else. I was just so completely baffeled that Sony and Apple would not let Cory Doctorow, who is an author, publish his ebooks with them. They would not let him do so because he did not want to put any license agreements on his books for the buyer. Doctorow's publisher also said that this was ok with him. Still Sony and Apple rejected this idea. Other companys such as Barnes and Noble were perfectly okay with this arrangement. I wonder if Doctorow did this intentionally to prove a point about these big name companies and that they want control over everything. Please comment back with your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment